Today is the first day of presentations. They go decently, though I’m wishing that I had been a bit more thoughtful with some of the groups. Two students are surprise absent, though one of them manages to deliver her snacks before her appointment.
I do some pre-grading on Tuesday. We try to grade the rest of the portfolios. I also remember that I have 22 advisees instead of 18 from last year or 19 (though really fewer when we did portfolios) from 2 years ago.
The janitor kicks us out at 7, which is reasonable.
- Show advisees their grades tomorrow, which always causes feelings?
- Do station presentations (where groups present to each other) or have groups stand up and present in front of the class? Presenting in front of the class makes me nervous, management-wise and stations get kiddos to talk to each other so much…
Picture: Grading station from today. This year’s innovation? Get the kiddos to put their binders in a box
The dramatic part of me is in a serious dilemma. The last few weeks at work, I’ve been revamping our finance plan (side note: it’s actually a procedures manual, but “finance plan” sounds so much more actionable. Did I really just say that?).
You’d think I’d be confused about how to delegate roles to create the optimal checks and balances system. Or how to scale this plan with more teaching assistants and more schools. Or how to shore up any number of financial blind spots that my non-finance trained self may have inadvertantly created.
Nope. I can’t decide which image to put on the cover.
(Note: Both would have the caption “Don’t give me none of that goody-goody bullsh*t”*)
Inappropriate? Perhaps…but a finance manager does have to know when to lay the smack down.
Sometimes, I think I have too much time on my hands. Sometimes, I think that Peace Corps doesn’t really suck away all your pop culture knowledge. Then again, I suspect that only our finance team (anywhere from 1-3 people) will be reading it, so I might as well enjoy it.
Another question, to that end:
- Have you seen Back To The Future?
- Have you seen Star Wars?
- Who plays Marlene McFly in Back To The Future II? (no fair IMDB’ing it)
Check out my friend Rob’s blog. It’s Strictly Autobiographical.
Things I Did Today:
- Write onboarding plans for new employees
- Draft text (complete with pop culture references) and tinker with images (rather, help our designer tinker with images) for an email that goes out tomorrow
- Ask around about benefits (specifically pre-tax dependent benefits). Lots of phone tag.
*If you sync up “Wizard of Oz” and “Dark Side of the Moon”, Glinda enters right when Pink Floyd sings this lyric. Too obscure? Probably…